Saturday, January 1, 2011

resolutions



I've never been real big on New Year's resolutions but this year the start of the new year just happens to coincide with a natural desire on my part to make some improvements, so resolutions they shall be!

I am going to make 2011 the year of developing better habits. I really hope to make some positive adjustments in some little things that I think can make big differences in my quality of life.

So here we go in no particular order:

1. Posture. Since having children my posture has seriously deteriorated from my ballet dancing youth. The combo of breastfeeding resulting in much larger breasts and always carrying a baby plus weaker ab muscles has not been good for my back. Some crunches may be in order too.

2. Housekeeping. I am admittedly not an obsessive cleaner. I am pretty good at ignoring messes in exchange for doing something more fun. However, I really do believe that having a house of order lends itself to inviting the Spirit and allows for more love and peace in the home. I want this more often. I am going to make a concerted effort to change my housekeeping habits to facilitate a more orderly home. This is a big one for me so wish me luck!

3. Spirituality. I really need to work on making this a priority in my daily life. I have been very hit and miss for the past several years with my prayers and scripture study. I haven't come up with a specific plan yet, but am going to ponder how to make this happen pronto. I'll let you know.

4. Art/Photography. Now that Miriam is getting older I'm feeling a real desire to get more serious with my photography again. I've loved doing the breastfeeding project and will probably continue this to some extent, but I want to work on growing my business this year. I will be expanding into birth photography which I am SO excited about. I am scheduled to photograph my first birth the beginning of March. This is an area I would really like to focus on since it combines two of my passions. I also want to explore the artist side of myself more. I will probably be dedicating a future post about this later. And I just want to improve and get better at making beautiful photographs.

5. Mothering. Perhaps especially step-mothering. I find myself getting frustrated with the older kids more and I want to improve that. I need to work on my tone of voice and increase my patience. I want our home to be filled with love, not annoyance and contention. Finding the right balance as a step-mother can be a tricky business, especially it seems as the kids get older. I think it was easier for me when they were younger and talked back less. :-) I have to work harder to like them some days. All parents feel that way though, right?

I feel like these are realistic and manageable goals. I am excited to get started with this new year!

What about you? Have you made any resolutions?

2 comments:

  1. Now every time I come to your blog, I'm going to think about my posture! I never had good posture to start with. I think I need to take up yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about your resolutions. My own have been on my mind a lot - I'm trying to work out all the logistics so that they're actually achievable.

    and Miriam is so, so sweet.
    Happy New Year!

    xo

    ReplyDelete