Thursday, April 8, 2010

Breastfeeding Photo Project: Call for Nursing Moms

1905 photograph taken by Gertrude Käsebier of Beatrice Baxter Ruyl
From the Historic Photos & Prints of Breastfeeding Facebook Page


With all this breastfeeding talk happening on the internets this week, a little idea has popped into my mind and it won't go away.

I want to do a breastfeeding photo project. This may have been done before but that's ok, because obviously we still aren't seeing enough breastfeeding in our culture. So here's my plan...

I need breastfeeding moms willing to be photographed. Your child can be any age. I want to photograph you nursing in your own environment or a place you would typically nurse. That could be your home, the park, the mall, etc.

I want these photos to be beautiful and accurate portrayals of breastfeeding. If you use a cover, great. If you don't, great. I'm not looking for anything in particular other than moms giving their children the best nature has to offer.

I live in Salt Lake City and am willing to travel about an hour in any direction to do these photo shoots. In exchange for your time, I will give you one high resolution digital file of your choice from the shoot. Additional digital files and prints will be available for purchase.

I don't know yet how far this project will go or what the end result will be. I'll take it one shoot at a time and see what happens. I also have no time limit on this, but seeing as how I'm due to have a baby in less than 3 months, I would like to do as many shoots as I can before then.

So if you are a breastfeeding mom or you know a breastfeeding mom willing to be photographed for my little project, please email me at redbeanphoto AT gmail DOT com.

And feel free to spread the word!

Thanks!

9 comments:

  1. I would so do this, were I still lactating. Call me in about 5 months, okay maybe 6 or 7 before I get the hang of it again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome idea!! I look forward to watching how it goes! If I were in Utah and currently nurshing, I would do it too! I'll spread the word to my Utah friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire and I are definitely up for it! Kelli did a project like this once, I thought it turned out really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am also a local photographer and took on a similar project about two years ago, it's actually one fo the types of photography i specialize in now, but i would love a session "for" myself. . . mctimbra@hotmail.com i'm also happy to invite you to see the private blog of photos if you email me (i'm in murray)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey - I'm coming to town next week and doing lunch with my bff who also is breastfeeding. We'd love to be a part of this project. Can you meet us at the Gateway Thursday around 11am? If not no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steph, I'd love to photograph you guys! I should be able to meet you at that time. Can you send me an email with more specifics? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what a beautiful project Katrina! I'll spread the word. xoxo, trina

    ReplyDelete
  8. i would love to do it. i'll try to remember to email you later (in a hurry right now), but if i forget at least you know that i am in :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so bummed, my baby stopped nursing last week! I would have loved to do it though, if you are still doing it next year, let me know, I will hopefully have another one by then :)

    ReplyDelete