Thursday, August 28, 2008

we're so glad when daddy comes home

Jared came home last night after five days in Utah to take the kids back. Boy, are we happy to have him home! I hate being apart from Jared, and although I was less lonely having Asher with me, it was also harder having to take care of a baby all by myself. I would never want to be a single mom to an infant. And boy am I glad that my husband is home most of the time. I gotta hand it to all you moms out there with husbands that are gone a lot for work. I am spoiled by having mine work at home right now. It's really nice having another set of hands to hold a fussy baby. One night I didn't eat dinner until after 9 pm because Asher wouldn't stay asleep if I wasn't holding him. But most of the time he was really good. Yesterday he hung out in the carrier lots while I cleaned and didn't complain at all.

Last night, Asher was sound asleep when I left to go pick up Jared at the airport. He was asleep when I carried him in and then about 3 minutes before Jared got there, Asher woke right up and was really alert. I was glad he woke up to see his Daddy. He smiled lots for Jared too. Asher has been smiling more and more every day. It's so fun. I still haven't gotten good photos of it yet because I'm usually having too much fun smiling back at him, or as soon as the camera comes out he stops. I'm pretty sure seeing my baby smile at me or his daddy is about the best thing there is in life.

Life is a lot quieter now with the kiddos gone. It's just the three of us. And honestly, although it's hard to have Jared's kids so far away, we are grateful for this time with just Asher. I'm grateful that just as we got to enjoy time as newlyweds, we will get to enjoy this time with our sweet baby.

The plan is that this will be our last year in NC. Next summer we hope to move out to Utah while Jared writes his dissertation. He met with people at a couple of the Universities out there about teaching part-time next year. We don't want to settle in Utah long term, but it will be nice for a couple years. I'm starting to look forward to it even. It will be so much better for everyone to be near the kids. We both have lots of family there. Two of my siblings will even be at BYU. Plus, I have tons of friends there. I love it here in North Carolina, but it will be really good to be back near so many of the people we love. Plus, we'll save a bundle not having to fly out there so much!

3 comments:

  1. Awww. I'm so glad Jared's home to help you again :)
    That's a cute picture of him smiling. I can't believe he's old enough to smile...I still think of you as pregnant! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you will be moving out here in the near future! I hope that it's close so that I can see that little man in person!
    So, where do you want to settle down?

    ReplyDelete