Tuesday, January 19, 2010

go see avatar


Tonight Jared and I had a date to go see Avatar. (Thanks for watching Asher, Amy!) I definitely recommend seeing this movie. It is an experience. And definitely go to theater and see it in 3D if you can. Very cool! I had never seen a 3D movie before. Avatar's 3D was very subtle and immersive. It really helped you feel like you were in the movie but it wasn't a constant thing either. It didn't get annoying.

But back to the actual movie. We loved it. It is epic and big and filled with beautiful images. There is action but there is also a love story and quieter moments. And for such a long movie, it is paced really well and keeps you interested.

I have a few critiques. I wish a few of the characters had more depth. I wish that they showed more of the native children. But overall, I think it is a great film. It is very moving. As Jared said, part of what makes it so good is that it draws on so many aspects of science and culture--biology, anthropology, linguistics, physics, religion, etc.

If you haven't seen Avatar, go see it before it leaves the theater. I really don't think you'll regret it.

3 comments:

  1. I think my husband and I are the only ones that didn't like it! We thought it was a blatant rip-off of Dances With Wolves, and it was WAAAY too long. I was bored by the second hour. That said, the visuals were stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my brother might come down this weekend; if he does, he's totally on babysitting duty!
    Btw, Asher's sippy is here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I was not at ALL wanting to go see this film (like - at ALL), but I've heard so many people rave about it that I just might.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete