Saturday, August 23, 2008

letter to my love

By now most of you have probably heard about the plane crash involving Stephanie and Christian Nielson (this will take you to her sisters blog where updates are posted). Stephanie's blog is one of the very first I discovered when I jumped on board this whole blogging thing some 18 months ago. I have emailed her several times and she is always so gracious with her responses. I am just heartbroken imagining her wrapped in bandages in the hospital fighting for her life and knowing that if she makes it through, that life will never be the same. Many of Stephanie's faithful readers have posted about this tragedy and have honored her in various ways. Here is mine.

When Stephanie's husband goes away she often writes "Letters to Mr. Nielson" on her blog. Well my husband left me today to take the children back to Utah. It is just me and the Ash Man at home for the next five days. Today this letter to my darling husband is in honor of the Nielsons.


Dear Jared,

Asher and I have now survived some three hours on our own. Those three hours consisted of eating, playing, diaper changing, tummy time, snuggles, and now Asher is sleeping while I do this. I hope your flight is going well and that the next one will too.

As you know, the Nielson family has been on my mind a lot this week. Thinking of such a beautiful family has made me so grateful for our own beautiful family. Thank you for creating a family with me. Thank you for sharing your children. Thank you for giving me a son. He is already such a little person. It is so fun getting to know him. I love that he is so obviously part of both of us. The eyes from you. The dimples from me. Can you believe we created him? It still blows my mind.

I want you to know how much I love and appreciate you. This summer has been difficult. You have had so much on your shoulders-- first a pregnant wife on bed rest and then a new baby, three kids, a class to teach, RA work, your thesis to finish up, plus all the little necessities of life. You have cooked WAY WAY more than your share of meals. You have cleaned. You have been the go-to man for all of us. I know it hasn't been easy and I want you to know how much I appreciate all you have done and continue to do for me and for our family.

I hope your trip goes well. Know that Asher and I are here waiting for you. It will be wonderful to have you back home with us. We miss you and love you more than ever!

yours always,

Katrina

PS.... Here are a few of the photos we took yesterday. Too bad there were so many bugs outside. There were several almost good ones. Oh well.

This is the best of the two we took of all of us. If only Isaac had cooperated.

Here is the best one of the kids. Grace is doing her crazy face, but otherwise pretty good.

And this one of me and Asher would have been perfect if he had opened his eyes. But he's a baby, so we can't ask for much, can we?


3 comments:

  1. he is so precious! and you look fantastic for being one month post baby. good job. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there just passing through.

    Just wanted to say I have enjoyed reading your blog.

    You have a beautiful family. And Asher looks like he is going to be very wise man when he is older.

    ReplyDelete