Monday, November 19, 2007
week of thanksgiving, day 1
In honor of the Day of Thanks, aka Turkey Day, aka the Day of Eating-Entirely-Too-Much-Food, I am going to display some of what I'm grateful for each day here on my blog. Because it's good to be grateful. Dear old Gordon Hinckley said so.
1. I am thankful for my job. It's low key and low stress.
2. I am thankful for rejuvenating days spent mostly in bed watching movies and such with my lover. I need those every once in a while, and I got one this weekend.
3. I am thankful for movies like Amazing Grace that tell a true story of heroism. We watched this during the above-mentioned day spent mostly in bed, and I HIGHLY recommend it. Very inspiring and well-done. It tells the story of William Wilberforce, a British politician who for 20 years (1787-1807) campaigned to abolish the Slave Trade. 20 years, people! Talk about persistence!
4. I'm thankful for beautiful, inspiring music. The movie's title comes from the famous hymn, which was actually written by a former slave ship captain who became a preacher and friend of Wilberforce. That song gives me chills every time.
5. I'm thankful for my freedom. The incredible thing is that there is still slavery in the world today. An organization inspired by Wilberforce is one of several trying to raise awareness. Check it out at TheAmazingChange.com.