Friday, July 6, 2007

what's in a (utah) name?

Sometime during college at BYU I was introduced (pretty sure by an ex-boyfriend) to this most hilarious website: Utah Baby Namer Anyone who has ever spent any significant amount of time in Utah will understand just how hilariously true these names are. And for those who haven't lived in Utah, believe me, you'll think it's funny too. I find it vastly entertaining to just browse through the list of boys and girls names, but for a quick introduction to the absurdity of many of these names check out the "Cream of the Crop" link on the main page. And yes, the creators of the site have confirmed all of these names as legitimate.

Here is a sample of some of my personal favorites (please don't be offended if your name or that of a loved one shows up here):

Boys:

BeVan
Canteen
Denim Levi
Golden Noble
Helamans Warrior
Iron Rod
Kay C
LaRoyd
NaLa'DeLuhRay
Nephi Courage
Pontiac
Q
Slaughter
Stockton Malone
TrinityMichaelJosef
Welcome Exile
Zaragrunudgeyon

Girls:

Abcde

Allora LaLovi
Barbie-De
Celestial Starr
Christmas Contada
Cumorah Hill
DaLinda LaDale
Desdedididawn
Fawn-Dew
Heavenly Melanie
Hi-D
Jeopardee
Justa Cowgirl
Kaysional Tempest
LaDonnaJosephrania
Liahonna
Lovie Angel
Marandastarr
Miracles Precious One
Mormon Beauty
Nudity
Rhyan K'Ci
Serenity-Tabitha-Ann
Shamberlee
Sin'D
Thankful Flood
Utahana
Zion Anakin


So tell me.... what's your favorite Utah (or other crazy) baby name?

7 comments:

  1. Nudity? Seriously? And what's up with the people that try to smash SevenNamesIntoOne? Of course my favorite story is that of twins Orangejello and Lemonjello, but my aunt Ginger (who's a nurse at a hospital in Cleveland) has seen names like "Placenta", "Maconium" (which is a babies 1st bowel movement... sick, huh?), and other twins Male & Female. How many of those do you think were crack babies? I'm not really sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many utah names begin with "La." i think it is hilarious. my grandma is LaRue, and her friends are LaVon, LaWayne, and LaZahn. No joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh these are so sad and funny at the same time! what were these people THINKING? it reminds me of the guy in my stats class at byu whose name was Rocky Cliff. i turned down his invitation for a date solely on that basis--didn't even want to risk it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for these hilarious contributions. Suz, I knew you would give some Aunt Ginger names. I think think the crack baby thing is a definite. And if you think Nudity is bad, there are worse ones, but I didn't want to post those on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also heard tales of babies being named after body parts that I am pretty sure the mother did not know the meaning of, but will refrain from posting them as they are a little delicate. People are crazy. I love this post. I have been out of town for a while and it was fun to come home and catch-up on all your news. PS. how did you make your blog title? I have been trying to figure out how to do that. Anyway, it looks like you are having quite the fun/busy summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danielle, if you go into your template and click on edit header you should be able to add a picture. It took me some trial and error to find a picture the right size. It has to be pretty big to fit in the space. I know there are other ways to do it, but thats what I did and it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well we were going to use Utahana but it looks like it's already been used. Maybe I will just stick with Zion.

    ReplyDelete