Thursday, September 16, 2010

the latest from "at mother's breast"

I'm still plugging along with my little breastfeeding project. I took a break for a bit when Miriam was born but have been photographing nursing moms again and posting once a week over on At Mother's Breast.  I really love this project. I love meeting moms who are passionate about breastfeeding. I love the friends I've made and reconnected with through this project. I love how I have become even more enthusiastic about nursing. And braver about nursing in public! I really feel that by seeing breastfeeding portrayed as normal and beautiful, which it is, we will become more comfortable with it. The more it is seen as just ho-hum ordinary, the more women will choose to breastfeed and breastfeed longer!

The CDC recently released the Breastfeeding Report Card for the US.  Utah tops the list with the most mothers who breastfeed at birth. Nearly 90% of Utah mothers breastfeed their newborns. But at 6 months only 58% are still breastfeeding and at 12 months only 35% are still breastfeeding. Although these numbers are better than the national average, we still have lots of room for improvement. Moms need more support!

I hope my project can be one small part of the solution. I feel honored to be able to capture such tender moments between mothers and their babies. I'm still interested in having other photographers contribute to the site, so if you are one or know one who would like to submit photographs of nursing moms, let me know! I especially would love to see more ethnic diversity represented in the images. I want every mom to see someone she can relate to.

Thanks to all of you have supported me in this undertaking. Keep spreading the word!

Here's a little sampling of some of the latest images...
breastfeeding

breastfeeding

breastfeeding

breastfeeding

breastfeeding

4 comments:

  1. gorgeous photos katrina!

    what about pictures of 7 months pregnant women? Do you need some of those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrina, I'm drying up. I'm 20 weeks, and my milk either is gross or next to nothing because I have to persuade Dana to nurse even once a day :( I think I'm drying up. One side is completely dried up. Is it like this until I deliver, or does it get better in the 3rd trimester? See how long I can keep her going. I was hoping to be able to nurse her through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm grateful to have found your blog(s). I've been following you for a while (lurker, sorry. I will be birthing in about a month, and I fully intend to breastfeed (I'm in SLC, so if you're still doing your project, I'd love to participate), but your blogs have given me so much to think about with being comfortable breastfeeding in public, sans shame, and even breastfeeding longer and tandem and all kinds of crazy things. :) My new crazy ideas aren't always met with approval by those around me, but I'm so glad to know that you, and so many others, are out there paving the way. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete