Friday, December 14, 2007

idea for parents


I have started a private blog that will be all about my baby. I thought of this awhile ago as an alternative to making a scrapbook for my kids. I gave up on scrapbooking long ago. I am going to do a wedding photo album because I got 4x6 prints as part of the package with the photographer. But printing photos and pasting them is just not for me. I'm a fan of all things digital!

Instead of a baby book, I've made a baby blog, and once a year I will have it printed into a book with the help of blurb. I know I am not the first to think of this, but I'd bet there are still some of you non-scrapbookers out there that might think this is a brilliant idea! Also, I decided I might as well get started now to document my pregnancy. This gives me an outlet where I can write about pregnancy stuff without boring all of you. And I like that it will all be in one nice place for my child to read someday. Sometimes I may copy and paste and put the same post on each blog. We'll see how it goes.

So for all you parents and parents-to-be go start a blog for your little ones! It's so much easier than scrapbooking!

Do you have any other great memory-keeping ideas? I'd love to hear them.

7 comments:

  1. Wahoo. I've found that the only problem I've had since starting Ellie's is that I'm not posting as often. But, the good thing is, I take a ton of pictures so its easy to update regularly.

    No other good ideas but I can't WAIT to get mine bound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually did the same thing when I got pregnant. I make sure to write at least weekly updates. It's been a really good thing for me because I'm so bad at keeping a journal. I didn't know you could turn Blogs into a book! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you could do that either (turn a blog into a book) great idea! I have been feeling guilty about not writing more journal stuff about my pregnancy. Maybe I will try this too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The knowledge that I can turn my blog into a book is one of the things that I feel makes it most worthwhile...it's such a neat record of our family. Great idea to have it printed and bound annually. As far as memory keeping, I say just keep your camera handy, get a good video camera (I think that helps keep the sweetness and antics of their youth alive even when they're surly teenagers.) And just save memorable things, in memory boxes or whatever...just old possessions can tell so many stories when they are preserved. Three cheers just for the fact that you're aware of what an important thing memory-keeping is. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so now i want to read your baby blog, nosy person that I am.

    I second Emily. pictures, pictures, pictures. And stories. That's why I write my blog. And I have a couple folders in my filing cabinet full of...things. Like hospital bracelets and ultrasound pictures and first crayon pictures and crafts and hair from first haircuts and all that stuff. My mom had an entire filing cabinet full of our things and I used to love looking through it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good idea! I'm not one to scrapbook either (too much work and planning and trips to the scrapbook store, blah) I think this is a fabulous idea and great idea to print it off annually! I think I may do this, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm doing the same thing - it's one of the reasons I got photoshop. You can do such cool digital scrapbooking with it. Then print into a cute little book, and voila! You are a pretend scrapbooker that spent way less money, time, and mess. So cool!

    ReplyDelete