Tuesday, July 10, 2007

my sister the writer




Just wanted to share something my little sister Lauren wrote about a recent car accident she had. I was really moved. (It's on Facebook, so if you aren't signed up you may not be able to read it, but you can create an account very easily.) As you'll be able to tell, Lauren got the writing talent in the family. Here is the link.

And here is an excerpt:






I look down and see the airbags hanging there and their foul, chemically-odored powder is hanging in the air. Then I feel the pain in my face. Nothing specific, just general pain. I touch my face and my nose isn't broken and the blood is so little as to be trifling. I look up and I see the girl and her male passenger to my right.


"Are you okay?"
"Yeah, are you okay?"
"Yeah."

I'm okay, they're okay. Everything's okay. I'm just relieved at this point. Having been in a real car accident, the kind where the aftermath is so bad you don't remember the sound because you're too busy replaying the entire scene over and over in your head. Constantly at first and then daily for weeks. Months. The kind where all four of your passengers have to go to the hospital after being cut out of the car with the jaws of life. The kind where before the ambulances and fire trucks get there you climb out of your window because the door won't open and none of your four passengers will answer you. And you run from window to window trying to get a response but none of them are saying anything. None of them make a sound except for your best friend's 8 year old brother who won't stop screaming but still won't answer you. It's the kind of accident where after the crash the tension just keeps building and building and no crunching or F bombs can bring release.

No comments:

Post a Comment