Wednesday, April 25, 2007

back to work

Last week, after 3+ months of unemployment spent moving, unpacking, planning and executing a wedding, and enjoying a blissfully extravagant amount of time with my husband, I finally re-entered the American workforce. I now carry the oh-so-important title of Temporary Office Assistant for the Geriatrics and Special Care clinic at the School of Dentistry. And am disturbingly making more money than I did as a Producer/Assignment Editor at ABC4.

My day goes like this: I arrive between 7:57 and 8:03, say hello to Dr. Samuelson (who calls me either Katrina or Kristina or Christine depending on the hour), say hello to Christine (the reason for his confusion of my name, I suppose), and then have her log me onto the computer. I then spend the next 4-5 hours surfing the net, reading a magazine or book, and answering the occasional phone call from one of Dr. Samuelson's elderly patients. "Speak up, miss. I can't hear you!" I have learned to schedule patients and mail out confirmation slips and that's about the extent of my duties. I take lunch around 1 p.m. Depending on the day, Jared will come meet me or I will just go enjoy the sunshine outside while I eat my pb&j. After lunch I have another 3 hours of web surfing/reading/phone answering. And yesterday, I even got to put gauze into little sterilization packets. So exciting!

But lest you think I am complaining, let me say that I am not. How can I complain when I get paid to sit here and write this post, catch up on all my news, and even read a good book? No, sir, I have no complaints.

I don't know how long I will be working here. I was told originally 2 weeks, but I think it will be longer. I am filling in for the office manager who is "on leave" for some reason. A mystery I have been trying to figure out...clue by clue. I sit at her desk all day long surrounded by her pictures of animals and grandkids and wonder who she is. Of course, I haven't been told anything, and no one seems to know when she will be back, so who knows how long I'll be here?

1 comment:

  1. sounds familiar. although most of the "speak up, little girl" comments come after my 8 hour {surfing the net} work day. heehee.

    ReplyDelete